There are two bread mixes that occupy a permanent part of my kitchen cabinets, but are especially handy in the fall and winter seasons.
I have one plastic (yes, I know. If you can, put it in glass.) cereal container for Cornbread Mix, and another one for Biscuit Mix.
I've kept these mixes, and used them, for a period of 6 months, and they're still good.
On the lid of the container, I write the instructions for making biscuits or cornbread, so I don't have to go looking for it every time. We want to save time here!!
As for cost savings, I can only presume these mixes are cheaper...I've not checked the cost of making them, nor have I checked the price of commercially prepared cornbread or biscuit mixes. If you do, let me know, will you?? I make them because I like the idea of less additives than the commercially prepared mixes contain. Or perhaps it's because I just like to do it myself. :-)
Enjoy!
W.
CORN BREAD MIX
4 c. flour-4 c. yellow cornmeal-3 c. sugar-5 heaping T. baking powder-3 T. salt-1 2/3 c. dry milk powder
Mix altogether well & store in airtight container.
TO USE (this is what I write on the lid of my container):
2 ½ c. mix-3/4 c. water-2 eggs-1/4 c. oil. Mix well.
Pour into greased 9 x 9" pan or muffin tins. Bake at 400˚ 20 minutes for muffins; 25 minutes for 9 x 9" pan.
BISCUIT MIX (In recipe book, called Missouri Mix)
9 c. flour-1/3 c. baking powder-1 c. + 2 T. nonfat dry milk-4 t. salt-1 ¾ c. shortening
In large mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, sugar & salt. With a pastry blender, beat in shortening till mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in a covered airtight container up to 6 weeks at room temperature.
TO USE (I write the directions for biscuits on the lid of the container. If I want to make muffins, etc., I look up the recipe):
Biscuits: 2 c. Mix into a bowl. Add ½ c. water. Stir with a fork just till dough follows fork around bowl. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently for 10-12 strokes. Roll or pat to ½" thickness & cut with floured 2 ½" biscuit cutter. Bake on greased baking sheet in 450˚ oven 10-12 minutes
Cheese Biscuits: Add 1/3 c. grated cheddar to Mix-1/2 c. water. Proceed as for biscuits. May also add 1/3 c. chopped onion.
Pancakes: 1 c. Mix-1 egg-1 t. vanilla-1/3 c. water. Mix well.
Muffins: Combine 2 c. Mix-3 T. sugar-1 beaten egg-2/3 c. water; Mix well just till moistened. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 400˚ 20-25 min. till golden
Apple Muffins: 2 c. Mix-3/4 c. finely diced apple-1/4 t. cinnamon-dash nutmeg-3 T. sugar-1 egg-2/3 c. water-1/2 c. chopped nuts. Proceed as for Muffins.
Banana Muffins: 2 c. Mix-3 T. sugar-1 egg-1/2 c. water-1/2 c. mashed banana-1/4 t. banana flavor-1/2 c. chopped nuts. Proceed as for Muffins.
Blueberry Muffins: 2 c. Mix-3 T. sugar-1 egg-2/3 c. water-1/2 c. fresh blueberries or drained canned ones. Proceed as for Muffins
Sunshine Muffins: 8 ¼ oz. can crushed pineapple, drained, reserve syrup-1 ½ c. Mix-3 T. sugar-1 beaten egg-1 T. sugar-1 T. finely shredded orange peel. Add enough water to pineapple syrup to make ¾ c. Combine Mix & sugar, egg, liquid & ¼ c. of the drained pineapple. Stir just till moistened. Grease muffin cups or use muffin papers. Fill 2/3 full. Combine remaining pineapple, 1 T. sugar & orange peel. Spoon about 1 T. atop batter in each cup. Bake at 400˚ 20-25 min.
No comments:
Post a Comment