I've listed the website she gave, and have also pasted below it, her friend's comments, to give us some good tips in the process. Looks like it makes a lot!
Thanks, to both Jennifers!! :-)
Each day is God's gift to us...what we do with it is our gift to Him.
W.
I've only made it three times and I've been able to improve the consistency of it each time....so here are my tips...
- I used Ivory soap.
- I skipped the box grater for the second and third batches. I used a paring knife and just tried to shave it into slivers -- it takes a little bit longer to dissolve the soap in the hot water, but I didn't have to clean the soap out of my grater. Also the soap is very soft so it 'sticks' into whatever you grate it into as well...so it also saves a dish b/c I just shave it directly into the pan.
- I made it in a 5 gallon bucket from Lowe's...
- I've used an immersion blender and a dry-wall mixer (a few dollars at hardware store) that you attach to your drill...this has really helped improve the consistency. It's important to get the it really mixed well before adding the extra water and then again once the additional water is added
- I saved several laundry detergent bottles and then just poured it into the bottles leaving a little headroom so I can shake it vigorously before the first use. You'll need to shake before each use b/c the water does settle out of it over time.
- For batch 2 and 3 I double the batch (which really fills up the 5 gallon bucket) and is really important to get it mixed well before adding all the water (and why the drywall mixer really helped to be able to get to the bottom of the bucket)...I made my last double batch the first week of January and we're still using it (Oct. 2011. w.) and I have a couple of bottles of detergent still in storage.
No comments:
Post a Comment