It's difficult to get in gardening mode, but I don't know that the season ever waited on me to get in the mood in order to start!
Our maple trees have little "mouse ear" leaves. Daddy always said that's when we plant potatoes, and peas. I don't know about potatoes, but I have planted peas, spinach, lettuces, carrots, and turnips.
In the plant room, we have broccoli, cabbage, and collards coming up. March 8 will be 8 weeks before our frost free date, so that's a good time to plant tomato, pepper, basil seeds, and any other warm-weather crop you intend to grow, indoors.
They should be just the right size by May 8.
If you'd like to plant by the moon signs, the rules are these:
Above-ground fruiting crops planted when the moon is "waxing", or growing from new to full. Below ground crops (beets, carrots, potatoes, etc) are planted when the moon is "waning", or going from full to dark. In the dark of the moon is when we prune trees, cut down trees, etc. It's a killing sign. Fence posts are set (wooden ones) in the dark of the moon, if you don't want the posts to rot.
Now, if you'd rather plant in the zodiac signs, then here's the rules for that:
In the signs of the twins, plant podded things: peas, beans, etc.
In the signs of the breasts, plant tomatoes, cabbages, peppers, etc.
The heart is the killing sign, so cut down trees, prune limbs that you don't want to re-grow, etc.
Potatoes, beets, carrots, and underground fruiting veggies are planted int he signs below the waist, the sign of the bowels being the most prolific.
Vining things are planted in the signs of the arms, unless it's a podded veggie such as peas, beans, etc.
Personally, I plant whenever I have the time. I do think the moon has some pull on the planting, just as it does with the tides; but my schedule is more of a dictator than the moon signs.
I'm also aware that there are as many theories about signs as there are stars, so do what works best for you.
The important thing is to find that optimum level and plant accordingly.
Just remember one hard and fast rule: If you want seeds to germinate better, plant them in the morning on a sunny warm day, and water well, keeping the ground moist until they sprout.
For plants, don't plant them outdoors in the sun. They'll go into transplanting shock. Plant them outdoors either on a cloudy day, or plant them in the evening, so they'll have the night hours to acclimate themselves to their new home. Keep them watered well till they settle in.
Enjoy! What a blessing it is to watch these little guys go from tiny seeds, to a shelf full of food for our family's winter needs. It's a miracle I never tire of seeing; and a privilege to be part of it all..
No comments:
Post a Comment