Monday, December 26, 2011

Make Your Own Herb Combinations...

Today, the topic is homemade seasoning mixes. This endeavor, on my part, was prompted by the fact that I was nearly out of Lawry's Seasoned Salt--a staple in our household--but I don't want to deal with the additives unless I have to.

Confession Time: I went online and found a recipe that sounded like a good basic place to start. Then, I played with it from there. I'm comfortable that I'm really, really close to their "recipe"; but will welcome suggestions to improve it. First, I made a small batch, then adjusted the herbs till it "smelled right".

HOMEMADE LAWRY'S SEASONED SALT
2 T. salt-2 t. sugar-1/2 t. paprika-1/4 + 1/8 t. curry powder-1/4 t. turmeric-1/4 t. onion powder-1/4 t. garlic powder-1/8 t. celery seed-1/4 t. cornstarch.
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, then dump it into your blender or food processor and blend well. Place in an empty spice bottle and store in a dark, cool place.
The sugar "melds" the flavors, so don't skip it. :-)

You'll need to make this recipe times 6 to fill a 16-oz jar.

Onward to the New Year!
May it bring you peace and joy.
W

No comments:

Post a Comment