The crisp tang of Autumn brings with it such a welcome change, and this morning, my mind's been rambling (well, that's fairly common, now that I think of it... :-) on a variety of topics.
The "old timers", i.e. my grand/parents could quite accurately predict the weather just by looking up. Those wispy cirrus clouds--they called them mare's tails, because they look like the streaming tails of horses in a full gallop--are a sure sign of a coming weather change. They don't always presage a storm, just a change from what it is currently.
When my mind goes into "autumn mode", I also think of pork chops (or pork tenderloin) and fried apples. Those were standard in my childhood home: pork chops, with gravy and hot biscuits, and fried apples. The cinnamony fragrance of those apples wafted outside, and nobody had to be called for dinner! We were at the table, waiting!
Some ladies tell me they can't fry pork chops and get them tender. Well, let's talk about that. It's the same method used for crispy/tender fried chicken. Now let me say ahead of time that I fry both chicken and chops "naked". Ed doesn't care for breading or batter. For chicken, I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts. For pork chops or tenderloin, I use the meatiest I can find, with a little fat. Remember, it's the fat that gives the flavor!
PORK CHOPS: 2 heaping T. Crisco in a skillet. Turn the heat on High. It's ready when you flick a little water on the skillet and it spatters. While your Crisco is heating, salt and pepper your meat, or season it however you like. Place meat in pan, being careful not to get burned by spattering grease...you'll help yourself if your meat's at room temperature. It doesn't spatter as badly.
Keep the heat on High. Fry rapidly on one side till a good crispy golden brown. Turn, and repeat the process. You're not trying to get the meat cooked all the way through at this point, just seared on both sides. When the second side is almost done, turn the fire as low as you can, and put the lid on the pan, leaving the meat exactly where it is. Don't bother that lid for 15-20 minutes, depending on the thickness of your meat.
When you take the lid off, you'll have tender, steamed meat, and wonderful juices for either gravy, au jus, or to add flavor to noodles or rice, as a side dish.
PAN DRIPPINGS GRAVY: In a bowl, place 1/2 c. cold water. Add 3 rounded T. cornstarch and stir till cornstarch has dissolved (I have a jar with a lid that I keep for this purpose. Put the cornstarch and liquid in it, and shake...no stirring needed).
Add about a cup of Half 'n' Half (or milk or water--your choice, here), or a bit more, to your pan drippings. Sometimes, if the drippings need enough added liquid that I think it might compromise the flavor, I add one or two chicken bouillon cubes, and let them dissolve in the pan liquid before adding the cornstarch & water mixture. Cook till thickened.
FRIED APPLES: One apple per person, plus one. If you have two people, you need three apples. This works for up to four people. For more than that, it's one apple per person, plus two apples. (For 4 people, six apples).
In a large skillet, melt 3 T. butter, or Butter Flavored Crisco. Core and Slice apples (I don't peel, but you may if you wish) about 1/4" thick or less. The thickness depends on whether or not you want your apples al dente (crisp-tender) or if you want them to be completely tender. The thinner the slice, the more tender they'll be, of course!
When butter has melted, add apples and stir to coat slightly. Place a lid on your skillet (to retain your vitamins and help tenderize these little guys.) and cook till the apples are nearing the texture you want. For 3 apples, mix 1/4 t. cinnamon and 1/3 c. brown sugar. For larger amounts, adjust accordingly. At the "nearly done" stage, sprinkle this over your apples and stir till sugar has dissolved. You're now ready for dinner!
I'm presuming, of course, that you have your own biscuit recipe, or that you have those store-bought biscuits to serve alongside this. The pan drippings from the apples, and the gravy just demand biscuits!
Enjoy this lovely day! Each moment is God's gift to us...what we do with it is our gift to Him.
Till next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment