Thursday, May 17, 2012

Make Your Own Laundry Detergent

I keep forgetting this blog thing! :-)

Would you like to be free from supermarket soaps? You can make your own laundry detergent for less, and it has none of the perfumes of the commercial detergents.
Jen downloaded these recipes, so I'm sharing them with you:

Powdered Laundry Detergent
8 c. baking soda-8 c. washing soda-8 c. grated bar soap
Mix all ingredients well and store in a sealed tub. Use 1/8 c. of powder per full load. (This is a coffee measure. Just get one
of those little coffee scoop thingys and use it! It's the same as you'd use for your HE washer)

Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipe #1:
2 gallons hot water-1 bar soap, grated-2 c. baking soda (yes, baking soda!)
Melt grated soap in saucepan with enough hot water to cover. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring frequently till soap is melted. In a large pail, pour 2 gallons hot water. Add melted soap, stir well. Add baking soda, stir well again. Use 1/2 c. per full load, or 1 c. per very soiled load (I'm a little hesitant about this
amount. This is an online thing, and I don't know if it applies to HE machines or not. I'd start with a smaller amount, and
if it doesn't clean your clothes, progress up from there.)

Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipe #2:
2 c. bar soap, grated-2 c. washing soda-2 to 2 1/2 gallons hot water
Melt grated soap in saucepan with water to cover. Heat over medium-low heat and stir will soap is dissolved. Pour hot water in large pail. Add hot soap and washing soda. Stir very well. Use 1 c. per full load (See usage suggestions for Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipe #1)

No comments:

Post a Comment