I learned something by watching America's Test Kitchen last night, that is key to a salad dressing I'm trying to make...and indeed, to all vinegar and oil type dressings. Thought you might like this piece of information, too.
They were making a vinaigrette dressing. One of the things that is problematic to all vinegar and oil dressings is, in my opinion, the fact that the oil and vinegar separate, and you have to keep shaking the thing to make it combine, otherwise you get oil dressing.
They used 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard and 1/2 tsp. mayonnaise, as they added ingredients to their recipe. These add very little flavor of their own, but they're perfect emulsifiers, and that's why they used them!
I had two dressings in my fridge that I'd just made...yeah, the separated kind. So, I hauled them out, and in turn, added the Dijon and mayo, ran each one thru the blender, and lo and behold!! Salad dressing that actually stays blended! The one dressing is still blended this morning. The other one held for about 3 hours, then separated, but 3 hours would get me thru a meal without having to shake it, to mix the ingredients again.
WooHoo!! Great little piece of information!!
FABRIC SCRAPS FOR GARDENING: Are you working on a fabric craft, or quilting project this winter? If so, when you cut off the selvedge edges, save them. These are wonderfully soft ties for staking tomatoes, bell peppers, or any other veggies (or fruit tree limbs) that need staking or tying. They don't cut into the plant. I wind my cut selvedges around my four fingers, and store them in a gallon plastic bag. In the spring, when I need them, they're all there together, ready for use. Tie up the plant, or limb, and cut off the excess fabric. Done! You don't have to buy those expensive plant ties.
Each moment is God's gift to us...what we do with it is our gift to Him...Enjoy it! You're His child.
w/mom
No comments:
Post a Comment