She had a knack, however, of making work fun---most of the time. :-)
For sunny summer days, we worked outside. A game was invented to go with the task. Balmy nights were created especially for Hide 'n' Seek! Rain? Not a problem. We had reading, sewing or embroidery, and word games. Snow? Well, now, that called for homemade popcorn balls, taffy, fudge, or a variety of other treats that required more than one person to make them; and snow games, like Fox and Goose.
This spring and summer has been spent gardening...one of my most enjoyable seasonal past times. To take a tiny seed, watch it grow, and eventually, feed a family is always a fascinating miracle in and of itself. By the time autumn arrives, the garden has begun to lose its luster; and I'm ready for a more sedentary set of projects.
Quilts are the main project for this winter. For each grandchild, I make a one-of-a-kind item. Little Zachary is the only one still waiting on his quilt...and given his penchant for climbing, a monkey is his totem. So, the quilt will feature a jungle theme, with the monkey as the dominating figure. I'm still in the process of designing the thing, but it's a progress of love for each of our grandchildren. We're so blessed to have these little guys! Well....some are no longer so little. :-)
And by the time winter's snows are enhanced by tiny crocuses, I'll be ready to begin planting.
There's a certain comfort in the cycle of life; always different, yet there's a common thread that runs through it all. A continuity that says we're part of a grander plan. And as I grow older and nature's physical challenges increase, they're offset by a peace that's impossible to fathom. But who needs to understand it?
The highs, the lows, they all even out and we're left to decide which to elevate...is life good or not so good? Usually, it's our choice as to how we want to look at it.
It's important to get our priorities straight. From there, everything else will fall into place....or not. What will we choose? A choice demands action; action becomes a habit; a habit becomes a character trait; traits form a person. Every day we're becoming who we are.
I wish you peace and contentment.
No comments:
Post a Comment